Full-Tilt Logistics, a family run and woman owned company, resides in the transportation hub in the Reno-Sparks area. As an upcoming leader in the transportation industry, Full-Tilt specializes in providing shipping and logistics solutions to companies of all sizes, including small manufacturers.
Today, the Full-Tilt team sat down with us to give us their best insight on the transportation industry and how it can strengthen your business and help your bottom line. Read on to find out how your manufacturing company can benefit from third-party shipping services:
When should a manufacturing company start to think about outsourcing transportation?
Transportation should be a consideration and part of the business plan from the onset. A full-service transportation company should be positioned to handle any peaks and valleys associated with product demand. They are a resource for manufactures to use on short notice or as part of the longer-term solution. Transportation should be an integral part of a manufacturing company’s best business practices from the start.
What are the benefits of outsourcing shipping for small manufactures?
- To save time: Outsourcing the transportation function to a third-party logistics provider will free up resources to focus on core competencies.
- Someone else can do it better: Even if you have resources available, a third-party logistics provider can do it better at a lower cost because of their position in the supply chain, supply chain expertise and economies of scale.
- Re-Engineer Distribution Networks: Logistics outsourcing to a third-party shipping expert can be a quick way to re-engineer your distribution networks to meet market demands and gain a competitive edge.
- Management, Documentation and Accountability: Because of our sophisticated technology, we provide turnkey transportation service and document and hold carriers accountable from pick up to delivery. You have access to your load location 24/7 through GPS monitoring. Friction points are immediately identified and resolved.
- Develop an efficient Costing System: We will help in understanding transportation costs involved and help measure cost efficiency and create transportation plans and road maps moving forward.
- Have a transportation Partner: For outsourcing of transportation to be successful, both parties must nurture the relationship, create mutual trust, respect and a sense of integrity. Constantly evaluate what works and where the pain points are.
- Productivity and Efficiency – Transportation management requires a lot of time and management of several relationships, a company can focus on their product, team and business processes. A 3PL handles the stress of dealing with carriers and drivers and transit.
- Better Results— A 3PL focuses on best practices and utilizes the most up to date transportation technology and software. We are trained to identify mistakes and issues and proactively mitigate such issues. When you outsource transportation, there is more accountability yielding better results.
- Cost – A 3PL will provide better pricing as they have a large capacity access to equipment and availability.
- Adjustable– As your business grows and needs may change, a 3PL can adjust per the manufacturer’s needs.
- Reduce Risks– Reduces labor risk and reduces financial risks and liability.
When would you know it’s time to outsource your shipping?
It’s time to outsource shipping anytime a company wants to increase operational effectiveness and reduce freight spend. A full-service provider can do it better and at less cost allowing manufacturers to focus on what they do best. There are no salaries and benefits expenses when companies outsource shipping. At Full Tilt, we always work closely with customers to develop a strategic solution for moving freight.
Should a manufacturer use a specific type of logistics company based on product line?
Not necessarily. A full-service logistics company has extensive experience with many shippers and products and can handle any situation. Specialization may help for unique loads such as: hazardous materials or refrigerated products although not always.
What geographical areas do you serve?
Full Tilt Logistics services the entire lower 48 states as well as Alaska, Hawaii, Canada and Mexico. We also provide importing and exporting service for international shipments. latest
How do you track products? Tell us a little bit about your technology
We use modern state of the art technology to manage our customers freight. GPS on board tracking software is used along with our electronic data interchange system to allow customers to receive real time information on the location and status of their shipments. In addition, we employ full-time traffic coordinators who monitor shipments and keep our customers informed.
How do you decide on pricing? Is this affordable for small manufacturers?
Pricing is important and we constantly negotiate pricing with our carriers to get the best prices available for our customers. Pricing, however is only one component. Just as important, or perhaps even more so, is the service and reliability provided and our ability to deliver on time and within the price quoted.
How does hiring a shipping company save time and resources? Does it allow employees to focus on their main job functions, instead of worrying about logistics?
A manufacturer’s strength is in making product – its focus is procurement and streamlining production, but without the capability to fulfill orders, it is doomed. Many forward-thinking manufacturing companies are increasingly turning to logistics companies to streamline the process of transportation management. This solution will improve your bottom line and simplify the chaos associate with moving product.
If you are a small manufacturer, the time to start thinking about your shipping and logistics is now. Outsourcing your shipping is a cost effective and efficient way to manage your logistics, and turn the focus back on making your product to the best of your ability.